Sunday, June 30, 2013

Zankel Scholarship - Society of Illustrators

"People are people." & "We're all a little weird."

These were two pearls of wisdom that came out during my recent trip to NY where I interviewed for the Zankel Scholarship.  The two day whirlwind of a trip was full of warmth, nerves, support, and inspiration.  I can't even begin to describe how simply wonderful the experience was. 



photo credit - Scott Bakal


I arrived in NYC on Wednesday afternoon where I met up with the other nominees - Audrey Benjaminsen and Andie Dinkin.  Together with host and judge, Scott Bakal we explored the city a bit and went to meet with Irene Gallo at Tor Books.  Later that evening we had dinner with Kate Feirtag and Scott at the Society of Illustrators building followed by a great lecture and discussion on the work of Maurice Sendak.  


photo credit - Audrey Benjaminsen


Audrey and I had the pleasure of staying at the Herald Square Hotel, which was the original Time Life building.  So many wonderful illustrated covers on display throughout the halls.  




photo credit - Scott Bakal


On Thursday morning all nominees were individually interviewed by a well rounded panel of judges (Matt Curtius, Gina Triplett, Scott Bakal, Judy Zankel, Donato Giancola, & Whitney Sherman) and before noon we were called together to hear the results.  

I was so shocked to be named this year's award winner!  Audrey and Andie are both so incredibly talented - and I'm so happy I got to spend a brief time with them to experience this amazing honor.  I'll definitely have my eyes on these two in coming years.


photo credit - Whitney Sherman


Following interviews we all had a great lunch together - this time with all nerves gone.  It was nice to speak to the judges more casually, and I'm glad we had the chance.  I received some really great advice during that lunch about steps I should take as soon as I graduate to really jump start my career.  More excited than ever about my future.

As I've expressed to each of the judges, being nominated for such a distinctive award was mind blowing in itself, but going so far as to win the award is something I'm still struggling to wrap my head around.  Regardless of the scholarship, the absolute best part of the entire experience was being surrounded by a group of people who believe in supporting, inspiring, and enabling young illustrators.  I hope that someday I might have the chance to give the same support to someone who will need it just as much as I do now.

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment